Pioneer Unveils Competition SPLSpec Subwoofer
The most sophisticated line of SPL subwoofers in the market
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., the world's largest car speaker manufacturer unveils the TS-W5000SPL "SPLSpec" 12-inch subwoofer. This new breed of sound pressure level (SPL) subwoofer is a competition-level product designed to address the growing popularity of SPL competitions where decibel levels are measured to determine the loudest vehicle. The TS-W5000SPL subwoofer uses new technological breakthroughs in speaker design to withstand the grueling demands of SPL contests. The TS-W5000SPL incorporates numerous proprietary technologies that provide extreme power handling, sound pressure level and reliability. The speaker will be available in January 2003 at a suggested retail price of $900.
"The Pioneer SPLSpec subwoofer can withstand the effects of sound pressure levels above 170dB," said Michael Townsen, vice president of marketing for mobile entertainment at Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "The TS-W5000SPL will give competitors the edge in building their SPL vehicles so they can challenge any SPL record in existence."
The Pioneer TS-W5000SPL subwoofer has four patents pending. It is designed and built using innovative technologies, including:
- Ceramic Coat Voice Coil Wire - The TS-W5000SPL can handle 5000 watts of power through its ceramic-coated voice coil to handle extreme heat, doubling its input power handling capability. The result of this technique is increased reliability, virtually eliminating failures during SPL competitions.
- Overhung Surround Design - The surround of the TS-W5000SPL has a large roll design that increases movement of the cone. Unlike other large surrounds, the Pioneer surround does not take away from the cone surface area but extends out the speaker basket and uniquely covers the speaker mounting holes.
- Wide-roll, aramid-fiber woven reinforced rubber surround - The honeycombed pattern cloth evenly distributes strength throughout the surround material to eliminate any weakness and allow long, linear excursion.
- Interlaced Carbon Fiber Reinforced IMPP cone -Pioneer blends long carbon fibers into a very rigid injection molded polypropylene cone, which forms an incredibly resilient fiber weave, resulting in superior strength and stiffness for incredible mass air movements.
- Aero-Dynamic Magnetic Gap (ADMG) Design - The pole-piece and top plate is designed with an air channel between the magnets that relieves pressure created when massive air movements occur, reducing the mechanical air resistance by more than 10 percent and resulting in improved linearity at very high power input.
- Triple Stacked Magnet - Three magnets were used in the motor structure to create a powerful force to move the cone assembly, especially in extremely high SPL where air resistance is at maximum.
|SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE||$900|
|SYSTEM||Sealed, Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils|
|INPUT (MAX)||5000 Watts|
|CONE||Interlaced Carbon Fiber Reinforced IMPP|
|SURROUND||Fiber Woven Radial Rubber|
|Wide Roll, Overhung Surround Design (Invisible Screw Holes)|
|MAGNET||Triple Stacked Magnets (Ferrite)|
|MAGNET WEIGHT||320 Oz|
|VOICE COIL BOBBIN||Glass-Imide, 3 inch|
|VOICE COIL||Copper Round Wire|
|DAMPER||9 inch Conex Double Damper|
|Vented, Die-Cast Aluminum Support|
|POLE YOKE||Extended, Vented|
|AeroDynamic Magnetic Gap (ADMG)|
|FRAME MATERIAL||Die-Cast Aluminum|
|TERMINAL||8 Gauge Wire Terminal|
|IMPEDANCE||2 or 8 Ohm|
|LOWEST RESONANCE||32 Hz|
|FREQUENCY RESPONSE||18-2,000 Hz|
|DIMENSIONS||12-7/8" x 12"|
|ENCLOSURE SIZE||1.5 cu. Ft.|