Pioneer AppRadio 2 Officially Released with Android Connectivity
AppRadio App for Android, Android Compatible Apps and Connectivity Kit Now Available
According to a recent online survey conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Pioneer1, an astounding 79% of smartphone owners use apps while in the car, with the top three most used apps being maps and navigation at 56%, music at 31% and social networking at 24%. Pioneer’s new AppRadio™ 2 (SPH-DA100) addresses the in-car needs of smartphone users by bringing car centric apps such as navigation and music into the dash where they are safer and more practical to access and manage. The release of AppRadio 2 brings today’s connected lifestyle directly into the vehicle, supporting both the iPhone®* and Android™** smartphone platforms, giving consumers a better way to plug in their phones and utilize Pioneer approved apps.
“It’s no secret that the smartphone has taken consumers to a new level of connectivity where almost any information and entertainment option can be accessed at anytime,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “Our goal is to make using various iPhone or Android features and apps, specifically those that are appropriate for in-car use, safer and more convenient in the car. The Pioneer AppRadio accomplishes this by providing smartphone access and control through a larger touchscreen installed in the dash and integrated into the vehicle.”
Along with AppRadio 2’s availability, the supporting AppRadio App, previously available only for iPhone, is now also available at no charge from Google Play™ and compatible with certain Android smartphones. Additionally, there are five new compatible Android apps, one from Pioneer and four from other providers, in these popular categories.
- Waze®: A free social mobile app, Waze is a turn-by-turn voice navigation app that uses the driving community to help provide real-time traffic updates for an optimal commute. The app is 100% powered by users, so the more users there are, the better it gets.
- AUPEO! Personal Radio™: With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs or AUPEO!’s “Mood-Tuner.” Users can also choose to “love” or “ban” songs directly from the AppRadio screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user’s personal taste.
- Pandora® internet radio: One of the most popular Internet radio services available today brings the user’s favorite and newly discovered music to the dash of the vehicle.
- Pioneer CarMediaPlayer: When used with a Pioneer AppRadio (SPH-DA01 or SPH-DA02), CarMediaPlayer allows users to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in their music libraries and offers Alphabet Search and Album View functions.
- DashCommand™: Utilizing the built-in GPS and accelerometer sensors of the smartphone, DashCommand displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle’s OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II cable sold separately), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the AppRadio 2 screen.
Pioneer’s CD-AH200C Android App Connectivity Kit (sold separately) for Android smartphone users has also been released. Currently there are fifteen Android smartphone models** compatible with AppRadio 2. The kit includes the cables that support both the Mobile High Definition Link (MHL) and Micro HDMI® connections necessary to interface with a compatible Android powered smartphone. The CD-AH200C kit has a suggested price of $119.00.
AppRadio 2 Features:
- iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S compatibility via the iPhone cable (included)
- Compatible with certain Android powered smartphones via the Android App Connectivity Kit, CD-AH200C (sold separately)
- Large 7-inch capacitive touchscreen, enabling control of supported functions using touch and motion gestures similar to the most popular smartphone devices
- New for 2012 AM/FM radio layout
- Built-in Bluetooth® connectivity for hands-free calling with phone book access, dial pad and included microphone
- Built-in GPS antenna for improved positioning accuracy
- Input for an optional rear facing back-up camera
- Two pairs of RCA outputs for connection to external amplifiers
- Input for optional steering wheel control input adapters (sold separately)
Pioneer’s AppRadio 2 is available at authorized Pioneer retailers with a suggested price of $499. For more information, visit www.pioneerelectronics.com/appradio.
1This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Pioneer from April 12 - 16, 2012, among 2,215 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Katherine Manning.
* Compatible with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.
** NOT compatible with all Android powered devices or apps. Android connectivity requires the CD-AH200C Android Connectivity Kit, which is sold separately.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a leader in optical disc technology and a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets.
Bluetooth functionality requires a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers.
NOTE: Do not use your Pioneer system if doing so will divert your attention in any way from the safe operation of your vehicle.
Always observe safe driving rules. Certain operations may not be legal while driving in your jurisdiction, so you must be aware of and obey any such restrictions. If in doubt as to a particular operation, only perform it while the car is parked. No feature should be used unless it is safe to do so under the driving conditions you are experiencing.
Pioneer and AppRadio are trademarks or registered trademarks of Pioneer Corporation.
Google, Google Play and Android are registered trademarks of Google Inc.
AUPEO! Personal Radio is a trademark of Aupeo Ltd.
Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
DashCommand is a trademark of Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Pandora is registered trademark of Pandora Media, Inc.
Waze is a registered trademark of Waze Inc.