The DVR-A08XL is capable of writing at speeds up to 16x maximum on DVD-R and +R discs that are designed for this recording speed, as well as specified 8x media. With 16x media not yet available, Pioneer’s DVR-A08XL is allowing customers to write on currently available 8x media at faster speeds by capitalizing on Pioneer over specification technology, a writing strategy designed to allow the A08XL to record at higher speeds with certain media. The double-layer technology extends data storage capacity on DVD recordable discs from 4.7 gigabytes to 8.5 gigabytes. The new drive is also dual format, which support DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats to eliminate consumer confusion.
Pioneer engineers focused on improving the writing/recording quality and reliability for high-speed writing. New technology accommodates for variances in blank media. Some of the technological advancements include:
- Quiet Drive technolgoy which reduces the operating noise by about 75%.
- Pioneer-developed Liquid Crystal Control System for precise recording onto the surface of discs that may be warped or of uneven thickness.
- Smart Laser Driver to provide a precise laser pulse control and achieve more reliable recording for high-speed writing.
- Precision Recording Technology, which utilizes an auto-adjustable writing technique to enable recording under the best conditions for each disc characteristic at all times. This technology, first introduced in the DVR-A06, enables the DVR-A08 to achieve optimal initial writing performance and helps to minimize the normal deterioration of re-recordable discs due to repeated writing. As a result, the quality for repeatedly used DVD-RW discs is up to 10 times better than previous writers.
- An Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber that reduces vibrations that can affect performance during high-speed recording and playback of some discs. With this feature, the high precision servo system remains stable during both high-speed recording and playback.